Halloween candy, especially chocolate is easily the worst thing you can give your pup but the tricky thing about it is that it’s dressed up its own delicious costume. We are advocates for eating the same things as our pups – for the most part – but when it comes to chocolate we are not about that!
Chocolate has a toxic element for pets in it called theobromine. The amount in the chocolate will determine how poisonous it can be for your pet. For the most part, the higher quality the chocolate, the more dangerous it will be. Dark chocolates rank amongst the most dangerous of them all.
Chocolate is full of negatives. For one thing, it makes your pets’ bones weak. On a more lethal level, it can poison your pup – and quickly too. Dogs especially do not think through their eating and if it smells sweet, they’ll go for it.
What does chocolate poisoning look like in pups?
You may not notice symptoms for a good 4 hours or so, but when you do they could include:
- Extreme thirst
- High temperature
- Reflex responses
- Rigid muscles
- Quick, heavy breathing
- Increased heart rate
- Low blood pressure
In the most serious cases, your pet could experience a coma, cardiac failure or even death.
Fact: Cocoa bean gardening mulch is extremely toxic to pets. Remove it from your garden or ban access to that area of your yard from your pets.
Did your pup get crafty and eat some chocolate treats?
This is an emergency. Get thee to a vet immediately! The most important thing is to stay calm throughout. Your vet will run tests, induce vomiting and work with medications that will eliminate the toxic elements.
Never want to experience the above?
Here are The Bone we offer many alternative solutions for treats and fun toys (aka distractions) from the Halloween candy lurking somewhere in your house and waiting to be snacked on. Drop by our shop for healthy, tasty options and cute (sometimes scary!) toys for your pup’s liking!